The following identification guides are collated from a variety of sources to provide you with the best available tools out there.
Trees and Shrubs:
Grasses and Wildflowers:
- Wildflowers of the United States
- Plants of the Rocky Mountains By Linda Kershaw, Andy Mackinnon and Jim Pojar (1998)
- Wildflowers of Wyoming by Diantha States and Jack States (2004)
- Vascular Plants of Wyoming 3rd Edition by Robert Dorn (2001)
- Field Guide to Wyoming Grasses by Quentin D Skinner (2010)
- Rangeland Plants: Wyoming Tough University of Wyoming Extension (2015)
Other useful plant resources:
- Rocky Mountain Herbarium: rmh.uwyo.edu
- Weeds of the West, 11th edition by Tom D. Whitson (2012)
- Outlaw Weeds of the West by Karen Sackett (2014) (for children)
- Rocky Mountain Mammals by David M. Armstrong (3rd ed., 2008). Guide to Rocky Mountain National Park, with more information than most field guides.
Reptiles and Amphibians:
- Bumble Bees of the Western United States - download or buy a hard copy
- Bumble Bees of Wyoming - download
- Pollinators of Wyoming: A Guide for Kids! - download
- Butterflies and Moths of North America - ID guide or photos by John Nordin
- Mayfly, Caddisfly and Stonefly ID tool - visit website
- Kauffman Field Guide to Insects of North America by Eric R. Eaton and Kenn Kaufman (2006).
- Guide to Colorado Insects by Whitney Cranshaw and Boris Kondrotieff (2006)
- Spiders and Their Kin by Herbert W. Levi and Lorna Levi (2002)
Other Guides, Resources and Links:
WyoBio Land Cover (Vegetation) Type Definitions
Additional WyoBio Resources
Have an identification question and can't find an answer in the resources provided?
Or have suggestions for guides that would be useful to share here?
Email us at email@example.com!