Depending on which organisms you and/or your class are looking for in the field, you will need a varying list of supplies. However, there are a few basic things you will always need.
Basic Field Supplies
- Single observation form - download here
- Bulk observation spreadsheet - download here
- Identification guide(s) - click here for a few free guides
- Camera for submitting photos
- GPS to take accurate location information
- Appropriate container for catching, identifying and releasing organism (such as a dipnet for amphibians, vials for insects, large net for reptiles, etc.) - be sure to visit our Protocols page to learn proper handling techniques!
- Sun protection
- Boots, rain jacket, warm clothes
- Water (and food if out for a long period of time)
Additional materials you may need, depending on your target organism:
- Waders or tall boots (aquatic insects, amphibians)
- Binoculars (birds, mammals)
- Hand lens (plants, insects)
- Nitrile Gloves (amphibians)
- Decontamination supplies - click here to learn more (amphibians)
Anticipate a lot of observations?
Download the spreadsheet template and populate it with your observations!
WyoBio Spreadsheet Template (xls)